All Five Teams Showed their Mettle and Complete Punishing Event
Another highly successful year for QE Students with five teams taking part in this year’s Ten Tors.
QE started their training in the Autumn term in some very challenging weather conditions with duration and distance increased gradually until kick off. The training paid off with all five teams completing the event, in much better weather, with four teams walking the 35-mile route and one walking the 45-mile route, a huge achievement.
Ten Tors is the only walking event catering solely to young people. It is believed to be the largest and most demanding walking event for youth held nationally. This year saw 2,412 individuals, in teams of six, participating.
The Challenge involves walking over the rough terrain of Dartmoor and visiting ten nominated tors or checkpoints in under two days. The teams must be self-sufficient, carrying all the equipment and food they need to complete their route, camp out overnight and is definitely not for the fainthearted!
Jenni Baker, QE Teacher in charge of Ten Tors, said; “The commitment and perseverance shown by the students throughout the training has been commendable and they, along with their parents, should be extremely proud of what they have achieved. I would like to thank all our volunteers who dedicated their spare time to come out and support the students, in all weathers, during training and the event itself and extend congratulations to all the other QE students who completed Ten Tors 2019 with other establishments.”
QE Teams 2019:
1) 35 A Route KL - Finished 16.38: Dan Glover, Thomas Gregory, Will Anstey, Lloyd Greenhalf, James Cox, Jasper Reeves
2) 35 B Route LL - Finished 15.03: Joe Bastin, Grace Lee, Monty Sorrell, Scott Goodman, Douglas Coningsby-Pogson, Tristan Rickard
3) 35 C Route ML - Finished 16.00: Gabriella Phillips, Ella Kugele, Isobel Samuel, Megan Roberts, Daniel Toll, Sam Coven
4) 35 D Route NL - Finished 14.37: Andrew Hannemann, Peter Maunder, Fergus Kingsley, Oscar Nicolls, Roisin Ridd, Eleni Roberts
5) 45 Route UE - Finished 15.45: George Ripper, Ollie Bowring, James Lambourne, Michael Lambourne, Tarzan Quennell